Most people would rather be moved by the music of a piano than have to move a piano itself. Anyone who has been faced with this undertaking already knows that it can be a nightmare. For the uninitiated, you might think that it’s not really that big of a deal. However, pianos require some attention prior to moving to ensure they aren’t damaged in transit. At College HUNKS Hauling Junk & Moving, most of our locations are equipped to handle this type of specialty move so you don’t have to spend our afternoon worrying.
The Challenge with Moving Pianos
There are so many reasons you don’t want to move a piano without professional help. Here are a few just to help you make the right decision:
- Pianos are heavy: Trained movers are pros when it comes to moving large pieces of furniture, and not many large pieces of furniture you can find in your home weigh in quite like a piano. This isn’t a couch or a futon, but upwards of a thousand pounds of wood, metal strings, hinges, and brass. Pianos require special handling and extra securing when being moved.
- Pianos are awkward: Due to their shape, even the boxiest of pianos have a strange center of gravity which makes them very difficult to move without damaging your walls, floor, or the piano itself. Our professional movers have the tools and experience to move your piano properly, from ground level music rooms to upstairs or even basements.
- Pianos are delicate: Improperly moving or shifting your piano might actually damage the inner workings of the instrument, and an errant bump against a wall or scuff down the stairs can cause several hundred dollars (if not thousands) of dollars of damage to the exterior of your piano. Repair services are extremely expensive, so it is best to avoid damage and just hire a professional.
- Pianos are precision instruments: Improperly moving your piano can cause significant damage to your instrument, but also simply moving your piano will affect the accuracy of its tuning and how it will sound in its new destination. Even just moving a piano to another room in the house could warrant a need to have it re-tuned.
- Don’t hurt yourself: A lot can happen while you are moving a piano, especially up or down stairs, loading it into a vehicle, or just trying to maneuver around corners and hallways. Without the proper equipment and training, you could really hurt yourself.
- Many moving parts: When moving a piano, you might not know the best way to immobilize those moving parts to limit damage to the instrument. A fall or a bad jostling can ruin a good piano.
Pianos are instruments that can last through generations if cared for properly. But maybe you just don’t have the room to keep it or don’t find yourself playing it any longer. College HUNKS Hauling Junk & Moving partners with many local organizations that could give your piano a second life in a new home.
Such a versatile instrument, pianos are often the introduction to many aspiring musicians and songwriters. Check with local music programs or schools as an option to donate your piano. Donating your piano might enhance the lives of someone else and bring joy to others.
Choose College HUNKS for your Piano Moving Needs
If you have a piano, you are getting rid of or have just acquired one, contact College HUNKS to help do the job right. There are so many reasons to not do the job yourself. Spare yourself the headache, damage, and hazards of moving a piano and let the professionals handle it. We offer free estimates and affordable pricing for all of our jobs.